Jan 21st 2014, I was in San Antonio for work with two of my good friends when my phone rang and I heard “So, I guess we are a match!” After some Facebook stocking by my friends, I saw my first picture of Brandon and began to have some insights into his life. It was clear his child was his life and family / friends were important to him. Two days later, we met in person for the first time and it didn’t take more than two dates for us to decide to put our accounts on hold. Skip forward six months and we moved in together. Skip forward another year and we were engaged and then married. We have been together now for five years and plan to be forever.
Brandon was my second match with the program and I was his first!
What advice would we give to anyone entering this program:
- Keep an open mind
- Decide what you really want and be willing to look over things that are not important (does the cup that always gets left on the table really matter, if they are always five minutes late is that really a show stopper….)
- Don’t try to change a person, try to uplift them and help each other be the best you, you can each be
- There will be hard times; you are two different people! Learn to communicate and talk through those times or as my Husband says, “you are not allowed to go to bed angry with me, sit and talk through it”
- Admit when you are wrong
- Tell each other you Love Each Other frequently and remember to take time out to be together
- If a step child is involved, it is not your partner’s fault if the relationship with the ex is complicated; be supportive and work together to control the situation and build a positive strong environment for the child
- Love your step child as if they were your own and treat them equally
- Set goals together as a couple on what you want for your future and work together to achieve them
Brandon and I both entered this program because we knew there was no one within our circle of friends we wanted to date; we knew we needed to make a change and we knew we wanted long term. We are both so thankful to this program and what it has done for our lives. Every dollar you spend on this program is worth it! Take your time, be honest with yourself, and honest with your match maker. As I say all the time, there is someone out there for everyone – go find them! 😉
Theresa and Brandon